As a social development centre, corporate work also enables us to offer community courses to the general public that are free or low-cost. These community courses include "Stress Busters" for stress, and low-cost mindfulness meditation classes. To show our appreciation, and to get public praise / recognition, corporate partners have the option of free publicity and goodwill for their organisations simply by being listed as a supporter or champion on our website. (The "I Can Champions" enablers webpage will follow shortly.)
*1-1 onsite confidential CBT support is also available.
Research & Development
With additional specialist input from NICHAW (The National Institute for Community Health and Well-being), we can also undertake applied research on a wide range of topics linked to health and well being at all ages and stages, including older adults and later life. This work can include:
- literature or desk-based research, e.g. to get background literature or demographic information
- data collection using any of surveys, interviews and / or focus groups.
- advanced primary or secondary data analyses on interview or survey data; the latter includes complex statistical modelling of possible predictor variables, and
- excellent report writing to time, within budget, and to any of a range of specifications or styles.
Costs of stress / worrying / depression
- The number of UK working days lost due to stress, depression or anxiety was 11.3 million in 2013/14, an average of 23 days per case of stress, depression or anxiety
- Occupations reporting the highest rates of work-related stress, depression or anxiety were: health professionals (in particular nurses), teaching and educational professionals, and health and social care associate professionals (in particular welfare and housing associate professionals).
- All employers have a legal responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 to ensure the health safety and welfare at work of their employees. This responsibility includes minimising the risk of stress-related illness or injury to employees.
"Staff Matter": Courses and Workshops
"Mood Managers" is a progressive series of 5 workshops that allow staff to manage how they feel with increasing sophistication, rather than be managed by those moods (see MoodManagers.com). This training is important because otherwise, the cost of stress can be high for individuals and businesses in terms of lost productivity, absenteeism and presenteeism (where staff are present but not functioning highly). Additionally, techniques to manage stress or raise levels of confidence, are not routinely taught, and often staff do not know what they can do to manage or improve how they feel.
Our bespoke training programmes can be tailored to the needs, goals and availability of each group. Our workshops provide:
- up-to-date information, with clear hand-outs and slides,
- on a range of psychology or research topics as agreed in a written spec we will provide based on your instructions and preferences; topics can include stress, low mood, confidence, assertiveness, communication, and/or time management,
- using a range of teaching methods to address the different learning styles of attendees,
- in an engaging and thought-provoking style,while creating a supportive, respectful and stimulating learning environment,
- by experienced and highly qualified instructors (typically trained to doctorate level), chosen for their expertise, enthusiasm, reliability, dedication, commitment, and skills,
- with follow-up access to the workshop leader for any immediate queries or questions,
- and with rewards, incl continuing professional development (CPD) certificates for all our courses to recognise learning and a commitment to ongoing development.
All communication and training remain absolutely confidential to each organisation, and will not be shared or discussed externally.
Managing stress is crucial both for individual and organisational health and well-being. Where staff feel content, and part a team, absenteeism and sickness will be reduced, productivity and effectiveness will increase, and organisations will thrive. At "The I Can Centre", our highly educated and experienced team offer a range of top-quality, bespoke psychology supports in this area, incl
- level 1 applied training on a range of topics incl stress-management, confidence building, listening, assertiveness and time management
- level 2 personal development training towards optimal development, well-being and functioning: this training is particularly for staff who need advanced critical skills in mindfulness and emotional intelligence, and/or those in leadership roles who are required to be role models for others incl more junior staff, or members of the public.
Want your staff to be the best? Then let us help. Talk to us in confidence!